harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Bob <citi...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Windows support
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 01:50:37 GMT

On May 10, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Kalecser Kurtz wrote:
>> I fail to see the point on writing open source software for Windows,
>> on windows we already have SUN's and IBM's java impl and I think noone
>> would care to have an free(from freedom) java impl.
>
> Some shortsighted people said the same when mozilla started ;-)

I would add to this.  It's a story we've seen time and time again.
First came GCC.  Not only was it a free compiler, but it was also the
first compiler that ran the SAME on all (then extant) platforms.  Over
the course of about 5 years, it overtook and superceded all other C
compilers (except Microsoft's) for that reason.  This is the power of
"embrace and extend", turned around to the free software world.

Same thing with Mozilla.  I use Firefox on my Linux, Mac and PCs.  Why?
  Why don't I use IE or Safari or Konqueror so much?  Because Firefox is
cross-platform, I can use it the same way wherever I go.

Why has Evolution NOT taken over Email even though it had the lead on
full-text indexing for AT LEAST 2 years?  (This is something Outlook
STILL didn't do last time I checked).  Because Evolution runs ONLY on
Linux.

I believe it's essential to get Harmony running on Windows.  It will
inevitably be different from Sun's Java: the bugs will be different,
some features will be missing, and some extra features will be added.
If Harmony runs cross-platform, then a Harmony-java developer can be
sure a program will run on Linux/Windows/Mac.  If not, then the Harmony
developer must always drag out the Sun implementation to make sure the
app runs on Sun's Java (which will be required for windows).  And once
you've dragged out Sun's Java, why bother using Harmony at all?  No one
wants to do QA on their program twice, if they only have to do it once.