harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Renaud BECHADE" <renaud.bech...@numerix.com>
Subject RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 01:35:21 GMT

>It would be great if people would bundle Harmony with stuff (and plan
>to do it w/ Geronimo when that time comes), bit it's way out of scope
>for *this* project to get into the business of reditributing software
>from outside of the ASF.

Hum... I still think there is a minimum distribution effort to be done (call
that marketing if you want) to get people to actually test the VM, as in the
beginning it might be very, very, very unlikely that absolutely everything
runs out of the box as replacement for J2SE 5 or 6... So we will need to
help them try it out.
(Basically, to me some nice IDE + app-server + a few dummy examples, swing &
jsf for instance, is the bare minimum to provide as a
demo-micro-distribution-to-test-it-in-reasonable-situations; the IDE only
might be non-ASF, as I don’t think there is a widely accepted ASF-IDE
[well, yes: Eclipse plugins for Tapestry & co. :-); please accept my
apologies if there is one, my point is not selling Eclipse in particular but
having an IDE to play with the VM, for instance to test practically its
debugging interface, and show it to others])

Just think of it in OS terms as a
micro-bootable-live-CD-to-demo-it-actually-works-on-useful-cases (a stuff
for decision makers). Bundling with 1 or 2 apps we/the ASF did not write is
not to be covered by NIH syndrome in my opinion, but rather a way to prove
it actually works to decision makers. (After all, mono bundles mono with
monodevelop [or rather monodevelop with mono, I think], and Sun bundles
Netbeans with J2SE...)

Just the same as if you develop, say, a 'new simulation algorithm for
reaction-diffusion discrete systems, which is "discrete, adaptive" '[1]. In
order to get credit from ordinary people (who might not be familiar with its
technical beauty, right?), even if the scope of this project is on soft
architecture and math analysis, you might have to provide scientifically
uninteresting display that it works... (Spiraling pattern for simplified
models of myocardium cells electrophysiology: that is, simulation of cardiac
arrhythmia in dummy demo-only situation, so here the mystery of what it is
ends here [2])
That is, with some 'out of scope' effort you get images for the layman to be
impressed...

To come back to more soft-only concerns, IMHO providing distributors with
the minimum tool they need to polish the VM-to-VM discrepancies and external
developers the minimum tools they need to test their soft on the Harmony VM
(and get a chance to actually do something - not just: 'it does not work' -
if it does not work the way they planned it) might be a big ROI,
comparatively small effort.

A VM without the bare minimum support tools might appear a bit useless to
many people (and also impractical to test with an ergonomic, long-lasting
experience of beautiful-looking piece of software). If you take, say, the
FreeBSD case, you don’t have much choice for instance for the VM you use
with your favorite IDE, so that ipso facto you stick with the VM you get in
stock (because the other VMs might be good, but if it’s a nightmare to
reconfigure it all to use your VM of choice with your favorite IDE...), just
like IE sticks with many win$ users.

As a use case, if I want to test a piece of software, well I would like it
to be kind of "download it and play".

Regards,

RB

[1] Sorry I take examples of my own... (Well, the research I once did)
[2] It was so simplified it was meaningless in my opinion, but I got my
credits with it...