harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Renaud BECHADE" <renaud.bech...@numerix.com>
Subject RE: Other interesting papers and research
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 08:48:23 GMT

>Summing up, I support the idea of a java/bytecode to C compiler that can
>be bundled with gcc. As stated we would gain portability and we can use
>all facilities provided by gcc.

To me it sounds a bit like gcj... In order to use a low level bytecode as an
intermediate representation, LLVM bytecode (which can be emitted by a
modified version of gcc [may be useful for rapid prototyping]) could be a
realization of your ideas, IMHO. Another way I see it would be to use a
simplified version of Java bytecode to represent low-level instructions (as
the Squeak Smalltalk VM works: only static methods and a restricted class
set is supported, this way it is possible to run the VM in itself, and also
to machine-generate C code from the VM sources. In modern days we might
consider generating LLVM bytecode - or simply use gcj! For this kind of
architecture, for instance [1])

Regards,

RB

[1] not sure about the implications in terms of speed, though. In my point
of view it is better, anyway, to have a working system first and then hook
bestial optimizations latter [once the execution model is simple enough or
rather close enough to a reasonable machine abstraction this might be
somewhat easier/less difficult]

PS: I am favorable to use a "java in java" VM as a plugin to such a system.
(or rather, have a "stock" VM with fast uptimes as bootstrap and then a
"very optimizing" plugin, which does not need to tackle with anything but
code generation itself - if this is really possible)