harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Renaud BECHADE" <renaud.bech...@numerix.com>
Subject RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 01:27:19 GMT

> No.  Why would we do this?
People tend to be lazy. If they have a bundle with one VM, then they will
use that VM, for most of them, IMHO. I seriously doubt we can have people
trust an alternative VM if it is not a piece of cake (sort of "with a one
liner on the console you are started") to develop with it, and as it is
unlikely it will support everything perfectly at the beginning (to convince
you let us consider running .NET soft on a Linux/Mono machine, or XSP code
on a FreeBSD/mono machine - sometimes it crashes badly, or again freeware
support of Flash swf, all of which can have slightly strange behaviors
sometimes, if compared with commercial equivalents, so that a development
that is not started /from the beginning/ with them might get into troubles)
there will be some intensive testing to do on real applications, which might
involve some patches on "must-have" packages such as Eclipse / J2EE etc.
(including strategies as simple as repackaging with a bit less modules to
have it actually run because some funny class is not here)

RB

-----Original Message-----
From: Geir Magnusson Jr. [mailto:geirm@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 7:38 PM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

On May 19, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Renaud BECHADE wrote:

> Another point that is unrelated, but what about the "packaging" of
> the VM?
> Do we plan to release it with say Eclipse + Server (JSF + IDE +
> object DB or
> O/R mapping + HSQL DB)? (IMHO this is good way to legitimate it)

No.  Why would we do this?

We want our JRE or JDK to be an alternative to the existing JREs and
JDKs w/o having people worry about all the cruft.

If you had an interest in bundling for some reason,  you could of
course take the thing and do that elsewhere (or start a separate
project here if there was enough support and a decent rationale...)

geir

geirm@apache.org