harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Renaud BECHADE" <renaud.bech...@numerix.com>
Subject RE: timeframe for mid-level decissions
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 02:44:55 GMT

I like it.

>* Work together with the GCJ people to build a really fast AOT-compiler
>that also works with LLVM based Execution Engine

I which case we theoretically have a JIT at supposedly low cost...
(translating bytecode to bytecode /without having to optimize it/ is great)
I still like the plugin way this could be implemented. (one can
theoretically call LLVM and get called by LLVM)
There would still be a lot of work needed for the java5 apis, anyway.

RB

ーーーーーーーーーーーー

So some advices from my humble side:

* Use a LLVM Exectuion Engine as the VM (the specs = IR + type system +
bytecode format are most interesting to me - The compiler and runtime
can be reimplemented to use conform to these)
* Use APR as an instrincs for threads, shared memory, ...
* Define a GCJ/Java compliant exception handling on top of LLVM
* Define a Java compliant Memory Model on top of the LLVM to Javas
Memory Model would be important.
* Work together with the GCJ people to build a really fast AOT-compiler
that also works with LLVM based Execution Engine
* Build different Runtime Linkages (Like GCJ compliant ABIs, Dynamic
dispatched ones -> It's coming to Java in 1.7, Javas internal)
* Be able to load GCJ shared objects and use them (FAST!)
* Much more

Then we have a good change of getting there on the client side and on
the server side, with many opportunities for the future.

Thanks
-- Jakob