harmony-dev mailing list archives

From sh...@computer.org
Subject Re: Testing - TCK, mauve, harmony's own test suite?
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 01:57:50 GMT
From: Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clarkson@gmail.com>

> From informal chat in IRC, Davanum Srinivas (dims) said that each
> committer (not contributor) will sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure
> Agreement) with Sun to be able to use Sun's TCK (Technology
> Compatibility Kit), which is required for Harmony to be certified as
> Java.

> Perhaps it would be better if at least one Harmony committer didn't
> sign the Sun NDA, then they wouldn't have anything to disclose.

It is much better than no-one can access the TCK because we know
whether the runtime has passed the TCK or not.

I have been hoping to test a JIT compiler and could not access the TCK
so far. But once a licensee applied the TCK to the JIT compiler and
report possible problems the JIT has to me. I could guess the reason
of the problems and fixed them.

I do not know how can we notify others of problems found by the TCK
without violating the NDA.

Rob Gingell said to me that it is easy to make J2SE TCK available and
they are preparing for it in 2002, but we have not seen it.  There may
be a way to ask or motivate Sun to make the TCK available under a
reasonable relaxed license.

Note that I remember Kaffe and GCJ had a test suite good even for JVMs
while Mauve is targetted for class libraries.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/