harmony-dev mailing list archives

From listrea...@jguru.se (Listreader)
Subject Re: Harmony Project Structure Attempt
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 14:10:05 GMT
Hello Nick,

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:23:16AM +0930, Nick Lothian wrote:
> Nice set of diagrams.

Thanks - they tend to visualize long segments of text in a simpler way.

> I certainly wouldn't agree that Harmony should:
>
> "aim[s] at creating a cleanroom, open source implementation of the Java Virtual Machine
in C/C++ or other OS-integration-friendly language. We currently lack a good choice for JVM
code baseline. Potentially, we face reimplementing from scratch."

> A lot of people have expressed interest in a JVM written in Java providing performance
is adequate. There has been substantial evidence present to show that it can be.

I simply collected what I felt was the opinion of the majority of posts
on the list thus far. Personally, I care little about the exact language
as long as it is relevant and optimal for writing the compiler.

Since Java lacks low-level memory management capabilities, and the
JVM obviously needs to deal with these issues, I would be somewhat
hesitant to write the full JVM in Java myself.

Of course, we could simply contain these services within the OAL, and
fire away.

> We do not lack good choices for a JVM. Steve Blackburn has presented
> a proposal to use Jikes RVM, and there has been discussion of Kaffe
> and GCJ as well.

Good - I will update the text on the site to reflect that.

> (I also believe there is a desire to use the APR if an OS abstraction layer is required).

I am uncertain at this point if the APR actually provides what needs to
be provided. That will likely be thoroughly investigated before long.

> Nick

information. If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
> This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.
> It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses
or any other defects.
> education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly
or indirectly by this email.