harmony-dev mailing list archives

From listrea...@jguru.se (Listreader account)
Subject Re: impatient ;)
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 23:32:36 GMT
Hello all,

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 06:42:16PM -0400, Patrice Le Vexier wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> correct me if i'm wrong, but, to make a J2SE platform, we need:
>
> - a compiler (javac)
> - a JVM (maybe a simple interpreter at first time, then a jit/wat/xxx of the
> death)
> - class library (classpath as good bet)
> - some tools (appletviewer, keytool etc)
> - an installer
> - ...

True, but from an architect's point of view, I believe we should look
closer at some fundamentals WRT requirements and at a common
implementation layer. Questions such as

a) Do we have a go from Apache and Sun Legal to actually pursue this
   project? (Noone wants to end up in a legal battle somewhere down the
   road).

   ==> Geir? Your ball?

b) Which OS's should be targeted?
   (This gives info for a baseline to installation and OS
   abstraction layers.)

   Given experience from some large open source projects such as Debian
   GNU/Linux, targeting a multitude of OS'es can slow down the project
   considerably - while at the same time creating a de-facto standard in
   strength of its many platform options.

   ==> Is it sensible to start with the OSs [Windows 2K/XP, Linux <pick
       libc version>, Solaris, Mac OS X]?

c) Could we augment the proposed architecture in
   (http://people.apache.org/~geirm/harmony.jpg) by introducing an OS
   abstraction layer (OAL) to failitate porting? (Similar to the
   strategy used for GCC porting.)

   I attach a small and quickly scribbled image describing this; will do
   a proper architecture sketch should the need arise.

d) What strategy do we pick WRT JDK tool implementation? I would
   recommend that we create a common library that can be used by all
   tools. That way, we can minimize the porting effort to different
   OS'es and have a single library to distribute instead of a splay
   of smaller ones.

   Attaching a small sketch on the structure.

> I know we're at the very first stage of the development and a lot of stuff
> are currently actively discussed, but is there nothing of this list we can
> begin to code, maybe just as proof of concept, or to try some solutions ?

Since Harmony is potentially an *extremely* important project, I
recommend that we stick to the Apache development process. We will have
quite a lot to code soon enough.

Patience.

;)

---
// Lennart Jörelid, Senior J2EE Architect
// jGuru Europe AB
// lj@jguru.se

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, 8-Bit, 0 bytes)
View raw message