harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <...@darwinsys.com>
Subject cannot leave out deprecated methods, period (was: Re: Java)
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 17:14:07 GMT
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 05:47:35PM +0100, FaeLLe wrote:
> But im still curious do you think TCK checks if Harmony would have
> implementations of the deprecated methods or can we just spraingly and
> judging the needs implement a selected few of those.

The TCP probably checks for these deprecated methods, but that isn't the point.

Look, if you're going to all the trouble of reimplementing all of Java you might
as well get used to the idea of doing various things that are boring or
tedious just because you have to. If you don't like that, go play somewhere
else. Period.

Not to mention that it really doesn't save you all that much. The %-age that is
deprecated out of the entire J2SE API is fairly small.

Think about System.getEnv(). OK, then deprecated but worked, then deprecated
but threw an exception, and now not deprecated and works again.

You do not leave something out just because it's deprecated.  Please do not
keep harping on this issue, so people can focus on the (daunting) task at hand.