harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Augart <saug...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 15:13:06 GMT
--- Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 12:00 -0400, Doug Lea wrote:
> > I think the brilliance of Geir's move here is that all of
> > FSF, Sun, IBM, BEA, etc now have equal motivation to change
> > their licensing so that they can participate. I hope they all
> > do.
>
> If you reveal the secret plan, it isn't secret anymore... :)
>
> But yes, I can confirm that the FSF GNU Classpath project will make
> sure
> that their license will be GPL and APL compatible. And we hope that
> everything that comes out of the Harmony project will be acceptable to
> both the GNU and Apache communities.
Mark,

This is ideal.  I was concerned that we'd be building a new set of
APL-licensed libraries from scratch, after the hard work we've put into
GNU Classpath.

Just to confirm: you're saying that the GNU Classpath project will be
relicensing the existing GNU Classpath code base with some sort of
MPL-style license that is GPL and APL compatible.  Have I understood
correctly?

--Steve Augart

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail