harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 03:40:13 GMT
Keeping the crosspost because the some part is relevant to the "meta"
discussion around the announcement.   Inline....

On May 6, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 22:34 -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> People working on Kaffe/Classpath are gonna advise us..see their
>> names
>> on the proposal :)  We (Apache Gump team) has been working with them
>> to make Kaffe/Classpath better for a while now
>> (http://brutus.apache.org/gump/kaffe/buildLog.html). Harmony is going
>> to increase synergies. We are working in parallel with FSF folks on
>> the licensing issues as well for while now. Please see the FAQ as
>> well. we are gonna leverage every bit of code and expertise that we
>> can to make this happen.
>>

> As GNU Classpath maintainer I must admit that I am not 100% happy with
> how the announcement came out. I had hoped it would have more
> emphasized
> the fact that we would do everything in our power to work out the
> philosophical, legal and practical issues when reusing existing
> code for
> Harmony.

For this I apologize.  I could have done a better job of working with
you to get that message across.  You were very clear in our
discussions that this was of significant interest to you.

> I do however acknowledge that some of the reluctance comes from my
> side.
> I explicitly said that I would not contribute to any Apache licensed
> project as long as code distributed under the (L)GPL and ASL
> couldn't be
> mixed into a larger work. That is why there are actually multiple
> lists
> of "interested individuals", some people don't want to contribute to a
> new code base that isn't acceptable to both the GNU and the Apache
> community. But those people, like me, might still be interested in the
> technical discussions around such a new code base (even though the
> duplicated effort hurts to even think about).

+1 :)