harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: timeframe for mid-level decissions
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 10:39:59 GMT

On May 19, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Renaud BECHADE wrote:

> >From the llvm web site: "LLVM does not currently support garbage
> >collection of multi-threaded programs or GC-safe points other than
> >function calls, but these will be added in the future as there is
> >interest."  I would imagine that's quite a lot of work.
>
> Ouch, but I suppose this is less work than say write form scratch an
> optimizing JIT for 4 or 5 different architectures (x86, AMD64,
> powerpc32bit,
> powerpc64bit, sparc, arm, etc.)

Well, I dunno.  I would think that if we got enough momentum and
became 'real', we'd find someone from Intel, AMD, IBM, Sun etc to
help out ;)

I'm actually not that worried about the ports.

I think that this is one of the few places where I'd bet that "if we
build it, they *will* come"

geir

geirm@apache.org