harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introduction, and a question
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 22:49:19 GMT
nice to see u here sundar :)

On 5/17/05, Subramanian, Sundar <Sundar.Subramanian@ca.com> wrote:
> My original intention of having a snapshot was not so much as to have a quick restart
but to be able to migrate apps a la distributed JVM efforts (http://djvm.anu.edu.au/) as Steve
has mentioned in this thread earlier.

> As you say I guess persistence along with machine specific JIT code might be a hard problem
to solve. Sun's efforts in this direction is a good partial solution. But taking care of the
environmental parameters like open JDBC connections etc would also have to be implemented
if any movement in this direction is to be expected.

> Regards
> ~sundar

installer loads a set of classes from the system jar file into a private internal representation,
and dumps that representation to a file, called a "shared archive". Class data sharing is
not supported in Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME. If the Sun JRE installer is not being used, this
can be done manually, as explained below. During subsequent JVM invocations, the shared archive
is memory-mapped in, saving the cost of loading those classes and allowing much of the JVM's
metadata for these classes to be shared among multiple JVM processes." [1]

> This isn't quite the same as saving JIT'ed code, but it sounds like it is saving the
pre-parsed and verified class files.

> Nick
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/class-data-sharing.html
>

> IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential
information. If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose
its contents to any other party.
> This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect
those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise.