harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew French" <matt...@camary.co.za>
Subject Re: Windows support
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 13:17:06 GMT
Berlin Brown said:
> Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
> that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
> also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
> they won't admit it.

FWIW: I think running on Windows should be an important goal. Although for
a different reason: having the discipline to be properly cross platform
means that porting to more obscure platforms such as mobile phones should
be easier. And hopefully it enforces consistency on the code...

Anyway, the bulk of the work should be in the libraries, and I would
expect that most of this would already be cross platform as they are
implemented in Java.

- Matthew