harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: Compilation of other languages
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 21:04:59 GMT
tumnus@mac.com wrote:

> Doesn't Jython work by converting the Python source to Java source  and
> then adding a runtime library?
>
> I'm talking about going directly from the language direct to byte-
> codes, bypassing the Java source step.
>
>> Of course, if somebody wants to create the extra compilers, their
>> code is pretty much independent from the Harmony VM code, so go ahead.
>>

> That's the idea. But it would be nice if the system allowed
> "pluggability" of different languages. For example, instead of having  a
> separate compiler program for each language, having the ability to
> associated compiler modules with program extensions (say). That way,
> dependencies could check between different languages at compile time.

What you speak of is basic compiler design.  GCC as an example has
multiple front ends and back ends.  The middle is an intermediary
language.  Theoretically it is easy to plug in other front ends (though
GCC makes hte interface unbearably hard)
--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI