harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: Compilation of other languages
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 22:51:07 GMT
I'm disinterested in the discussion of the value of other language
support from the perspective that you've given, but I
do disagree with your premise that multiple language support at the VM
level requires API agreement.

API agreement is only required if you do not have open implementations
or bytecode implementations of the API.  Meaning
if I have all of the python APIs and a way to interpret/compile python
bytecodes then no API agreement is required.  There
might be issues required for cross language expression.  (calling
conventions etc)  That however is another issue entirely.

I do not think it is practical to create this type of VM for C/C++.  I
think harmony's focus should be a JVM but if a desire is expressed
for more cross langauge capabilities, then basically focus on higher
level languages like Java, C#, Python etc.. C/C++ require a much lower
level effort in my opinion.  (though it is a very interesting idea :-) )

-andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.