harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 07:48:52 GMT
The problem of Java written JVM/JIT isn't one of performance.  You can
theoretically achieve the same performance (although I'm not 100%
convinced, I'm partially there) especially if you're willing to "extend"
Java for the purpose of writing Java.

That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way is
actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see what
I mean :-)

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On May 18, 2005, at 2:18 AM, Ozgur Akan wrote:
>> I think everyone shall read this first http://
>> jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/info/overview.shtml . If performance will
>> not be a problem then the product based on Jikes can be an
>> alternative to Sun`s JVM.
> Can we put the performance question to rest once and for all?
> geir
>> Personally Java is the language I feel myself most confortable and  I
>> think most of the people here feels the same. This is also an
>> advantage which will shorten the development time if Java language  is
>> used.
>> Ozgur Akan
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> We've been talking about two threads of discussion, one working
>>> with  a C/C++ based VM, one w/ Java.
>>> Here's a Java one for discussion (just want to focus threads...)
>>> geir

Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI