harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 07:48:52 GMT
The problem of Java written JVM/JIT isn't one of performance.  You can
theoretically achieve the same performance (although I'm not 100%
convinced, I'm partially there) especially if you're willing to "extend"
Java for the purpose of writing Java.

That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way is
actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see what
I mean :-)

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver