harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: Questions about the Classpath license exception
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 17:37:38 GMT
That's a bit knee jerk.  Far more value could be found from working
together.  We have more in common than not.  If we learn to compromise
and work together, the gains will be tremendous.  Seperately we're all a
bunch of qubbling groups who produce pieces of Java that are interesting
and maybe even useful, but are not really as much of a force to be
reckoned with.

While the Free Software Foundation and its allies have produced
tremendous works, the Apache Software Foundation has made the greatest
progress in freeing Java.  This was done through persistence and
compromise often over the objections of hard-headed people like me who
like to knee-jerk too.

The Free Software Foundation is the force which allows us to have Linux
or Gnu/Linux today among many others.  Apache gave us the Apache Web
Server and countless other libraries.  The FSF gives us GCJ, Apache
gives us countless Java libraries, frameworks and toolkits that are
developed in line with our shared ethos.

However, we do these things apart and do our own part to negotiate for
the freedom of Java.  Its time to take a much larger step and work
together, find commonality and keep cool heads.

Calls to give up and go our own way are frankly unhelpful and very
early.  A free and open Java is at our grasp through combined talent.

Personally, I have temendous respect for the abillities and talents of
both groups and look forward to them working together to produce a free
high performance production-ready Java.

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver