harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew French" <matt...@camary.co.za>
Subject Re: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 09:06:40 GMT
Larry Meadors said:
> First priority: Get it out the door, and make sure it is easy to build so
> everyone who want to tweak it can.

You do realise that there are conflicting priorities here? Get it right
and do it now?

As I have already stated, my priority would be to get it right. If you
want a free Java right now, there are plenty of excellent candidates out
there already.

I would like to see the process being similar to a multi-threaded
application: do a certain amount of up front work, setting out the
boundaries and requirements. We then fire it out to the open source
community at large and allow many, many different teams to work on
unrelated small areas.

Sound chaotic? Maybe. But so long as the boundaries are clear enough, I
don't see much duplication of effort.

> Second priority: Work with the community to make it faster and more stable
> than anything anyone has ever seen.

I see a fundamental problem with this. I have not been on this list long,
but already I can see there are many conflicting interests. Faster!!!
Cross platform!!! Secure!!! Reliable!!! Free!!! Complete!!!

You may get it fast enough and stable enough for 75% of users, but I would
be willing to bet that many users of an open Java would have less
mainstream uses for it, and would want the ability to tweak, customise, or
maybe even gut and replace large portions of the code base.

- Matthew