harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew French <matt...@camary.co.za>
Subject Re: Terminology etc
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 22:12:15 GMT
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 15:43 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> This isn't an immediate goal, but certainly would be something to
> keep in mind when architecting ?  I mean, you can certainly see VMs
> being incorporated into the OS?

Hmmm. Interesting...

You are talking about a VM becoming part of the kernel? java.ko? So you
can now distribute your hardware drivers as Java classes?

But why stop there. How about making the whole operating system a VM?
Sure you need some extensions to handle interrupts, DMA, hardware
registers and the like. But

Java programs will also start so much quicker.

Making this a real time system could be interesting. :)

Although obviously not a goal for Harmony, I wouldn't be surprised if
someone is already researching the concept.

- Matthew