harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 11:14:02 GMT
El vie, 20-05-2005 a las 11:26 +0900, shudo@computer.org escribió:
(...)
> Of course, such a runtime will have
> another interpreter or a baseline compiler (written in C/C++?) and
> Java-written JIT can be debugged exhaustively. But such a reflective
> nature certainly makee debugging harder.

Even if this is true (and I don't buy it completely), there is a very
beneficial side-effect: the basic VM core, MM/GC, verifier and JIT make
exceptionally good test cases for themselves, which would greatly reduce
the possibility of bugs or memory leaks when the releases arrive to the
users. At least in the basic data structure and bytecode
interpretation/compilation parts. And specially so if the bootstrapping
is done in a few machine architectures before releasing. Also as a side
effect, performance tuning of the VM will be something intrinsic, as
slowness will be noticed fast.

Regards
--
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>