harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sven de Marothy <s...@physto.se>
Subject Re: Intro to Classpath
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 15:50:44 GMT
On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:46 -0300, Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:
> I'm wondering, some parts of the JDK seens to be product features and not a
> standard. For examples, the sound system should use arts, esd or alsa (I
> believe Sun support the last 2). The printing system should support cups,
> lprng or both?

Such matters are of course not part of the Java spec and are completely
up to the implementation. There would be no point in having a Java API
for these things if a certain underlying API was required.

> The same goes for the crypto algorithms on the pack.

No. Although parts of crypto (like so much of the newer APIs) is behind
a Service Provider Interface, you still want to provide everything Sun
does, because applications will expect those algorithms to be available.

While I'm not sure this is required for strict-TCK compatibility, it is
certainly a compatibility issue for real-world apps.

View raw message