harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew French <matt...@camary.co.za>
Subject Re: Compilation of other languages
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 21:26:02 GMT
On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 12:19 -0700, acoliver@apache.org wrote:
> I'd actually like to at least entertain the architectural idea implied
> by other "language" support.

I think supporting other languages should be easy enough. Structs and
enumerations, for example, can be mapped to specific types of classes. A
VB variant is just another class. Pointer arithmetic would require some
interesting hacks but could be done.

The problem for me would be mapping API's to the class libraries. To get
code written in other languages to work in a Java would require not only
a mapping from the API of the original language, but also an
understanding of the semantics.

.Not[1], er, .Net manages this by, for example, making Visual Basic .Net
a different language to the previous versions. AFAIK it also requires
C/C++ developers to learn a new API, but C/C++ developers should be used
to that by now. :(

So you either have the ability to write Java code in other programming
languages but cannot compile something written for a different set of
API's (interesting, but not particularly helpful). Or you use an
enormous amount of effort to produce something with dubious value.

- Matthew

[1] My own private joke, not to be taken literally: Java is write once,
run anywhere. .Net is write many times, run once.