harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Where is Geir Magnusson?
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 01:00:48 GMT
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 08:48 -0700, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Please, please don't put all the traffic on IRC. There are many many
> people interested in Harmony who do not have the bandwidth to sit there
> and despite best intentions summaries don't get posted often enough.
>
> IMO using IRC too heavily too early has led to lingering community
> issues in Geronimo - please don't repeat that.

THANK YOU Jeremy! Also, using IRC seriously biases against those of us
who don't happen to be in the same timezone as the rest of you.

I try to stay connected and to scroll back and look but that's not
reliable and its certainly not archived. Defaulting to IRC is very
anti-community IMO. In Axis land we have a weekly, scheduled, IRC chat
and post the logs to the list and we rotate the time to make it
reasonable to everyone. That is acceptable IMO but certainly not using
IRC the whole time like Geronimo tends to (or let us hope used to tend
to!).

Sanjiva.