harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 17:33:08 GMT
El jue, 12-05-2005 a las 13:08 -0400, Davanum Srinivas escribió:
> if we use classpath...we will need the 2 kinds of hooks into classpath
> (see http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ for the links)

The I guess the statement should rather be:

- code in ASF SVN repository can "import" from classpath jars.

i.e. s/Java//, because the only hooks caring about license dissonance
would be those from the VMs (which could be written in a number of
languages) and classpath itself. The VMs could be written in a number of
languages, including C# or java itself (IBM had such a beastie, IIRC).

Which lends to a natural proposal: put the native code hooks in
Classpath into a BSDish or PD license, and we have a nice interface for
different groups (JVM writers, java library writers) to write to,
meeting there from both directions if needed. WDYT?

Regards (I subscribed today to harmony-dev and have not looked into the
archives yet, which could make this idea completely redundant. Sorry if
so.)
--
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
High Sierra Technology, SLU