harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: Status updates and distribution integration
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 15:55:31 GMT
Hi Stefano,

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 11:02 -0400, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Similar things work out of the box by doing a yum install of some of the
> > packages in the above list (ant, eclipse, jakarta-*, bcel, junit,
> > struts, gjdoc, etc). All use gcj.
>
> Mark, is there anything similar to that for debian and/or gentoo? (just
> curious, since I run debian those on my servers).

Not yet. As I said FC4 test 3 was just released yesterday and they beat
every other distribution in this particular area. But similar things are
planned for future Debian and Ubuntu releases:
http://java.debian.net/index.php/DebianJavaRoadMap
http://java.debian.net/index.php/MovingJavaToMain
(They are monitoring the Gump results with Kaffe with great interest.)
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/JavaIntegration
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/JavaPackagingProgress

Karl (CCed) can probably give you a similar plan for Gentoo.

The consesus seems to be to follow the http://www.jpackage.org/ project
as much as possible. Even though at the moment they are very RPM based.
That is probably one of the reasons Gentoo and Debian are a bit behind.
They cannot just lift the packages from jpackage, but need to do some
more work to adapt them cleanly to their distribution.

Cheers,

Mark