harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: Status updates and distribution integration
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 13:18:05 GMT

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 14:28 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Fedora new package list for FC4:
> http://people.redhat.com/sopwith/new-packages.txt
> Notice the large number of new packages written in the java programming
> language supported by gcj and gcj-java-compat. It would be nice if
> someone could make a live CD from some of the major packages to show off
> what is already possible. Fedora Core 4 development really is a bit
> ahead of the other distributions atm.

The Fedora and JPackage hackers gave me the following advice for showing
people what already works:

Fedora Core 4 test 3 just came out yesterday:

An up to date package list can be found in the release notes (the list
near the end of packages added since Fedora Core 3):

A full package list for Fedora Core 4 can be found at:

It is interesting to compare the list of packages with the list of
packages at jpackage.org. In principle an rpm from jpackage.org should
just install and work with gcj and gcj-java-compat installed. In
practise this is not always the case. Bug reports welcome.

To see how things work out of the box people should try for example the
Apache Tomcat 5 support:

1. Install a FC4t3 box. http://fedora.redhat.com/download/test.html
2. yum install tomcat5 tomcat5-webapps tomcat5-admin-webapps
3. service tomcat5 start
4. Look at http://localhost:8080/

Assuming they know their way around Tomcat all they need to know
to configure it is that CATALINA_HOME is /usr/share/tomcat5.

Similar things work out of the box by doing a yum install of some of the
packages in the above list (ant, eclipse, jakarta-*, bcel, junit,
struts, gjdoc, etc). All use gcj.

View raw message