harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 20:25:19 GMT
On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 15:55 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> I firmly believe that we can form an inclusive community in which
> everybody who is willing to meet each other half was has an opportunity
> to participate.

Yes, we've seen this work before...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-announce/2000/msg00001.html

Cygnus and the FSF were both implementing our own versions of the core
class libraries.  GNU Classpath was LGPLd at the time.  This was
unsuitable for Cygnus, who wanted something more like the libgcc or
libstdc++ license.  In the end, the FSF agreed to change the GNU
Classpath license and Cygnus assigned copyright of all of our class
library code to the FSF.  It was a great move for everybody.

AG