harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 21:43:01 GMT

On May 23, 2005, at 5:31 PM, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> (for the record, this isn't about "not doing Java" or "not doing
>> JikesRVM", but rather my understanding that we'll need a small C/C+
>> +  kernel to host the modules, no matter how they are written, and
>> this  is a way to get that going...)
>>

> Excuse me if I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be necessary to
> implement parts of the VM or the class library in native code anyway?

Yes.

> I'm thinking about code to access e.g. resources like I/O devices,
> sound etc.? Or is this discussion C vs Java restricted to the
> bytecode executing part of the VM?

It's never been clear :)

That's the point - that we need the native kernel, and can do the
rest in C/C++ or Java or both, but hopefully not both - that we can
divide the work once we have the kernel so things can proceed in
parallel (or be donated, or use from 3rd party if appropriately
licensed, etc)

geir

geirm@apache.org