hama-user mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there something like BSP Peer ID?
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:33:59 GMT
Hi, you can use below two methods.

  /**
   * @return the name of n-th peer from sorted array by name.
   */
  public String getPeerName(int index);

  /**
   * @return the index of this peer from sorted array by name.
   */
  public int getPeerIndex();

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 5:29 AM, Anveshi Charuvaka
<anvesh.subs@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the BSP class's subclass we can send messages to other peers by name using
>         peer.send(peerName,message)
>
> but these peerNames are system generated and it seems there is no way to change these
names. Like in the Graph api, I can set up the ID of the vertex and in compute(), I can send
a message to a specific vertex if I know it's ID. In BSP api there seems to be no facility
for this. Is it possible using BSP api to map the system generated names of bsp peers like
"local:0" etc. to some ID of the peer that is provided in the setup?

> The use-case is something like this. I know how many peers I am going to create and I
would like to assign them IDs. Inside the bsp() method I would like to send messages to only
specific set of peers and I would know which ones I am going to send messages to, because
I'll have their IDs. With system generated IDs I can not distinguish between peers. This is
something that can be easily achieved by the graph API, but I am trying to understand if lack
of this facility is a design decision in BSP api.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon