hama-user mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About the comparison of HAMA and Giraph
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 05:03:22 GMT
In my private opinion,

= What's difference of the two projects? =

Hama pursues the general BSP computing engine, so it provides an
chance of any additional programming models on top of BSP model. For
example, Hama can be used for Pregel-like graph computing model,
Machine Learning algorithms, and MRQL's complex query processing.

Giraph is different in the sense that it focused only on
"vertex-centric graph model" and it runs as a map-only job. So, it
have a dependence of Map/Reduce framework.

= What's the HAMA's target in the future? =

A scalable and fast distributed computing engine for massive
scientific computations such as matrix, graph and network algorithms.
Also, we're trying to support C/C++ interface, easy-to-use query
language (with MRQL project), and GPGPU acceleration.

= HAMA's advantage VS Giraph at present? =

In terms of graph computing qualities, Hama's graph package and Giraph
support almost same APIs because we cloned a Google's Pregel. One
different thing is a VertexInputReader for parsing the structure of
Vertex from the arbitrary input records. And, I think it's hard to say
at this stage which is the fast and reliable project.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Changguanghui <changguanghui@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
>     First, congratulations on the release of new version of HAMA!
>     I have noticed HAMA for half year, but there are some questions about HAMA's direction.
For example, could the HAMA's team have discussed another project which is called Giraph?
and it focus on large-scale graph processing too.
>     I just want to know What's difference of the two projects, and what's the HAMA's
target in the future, and HAMA's advantage VS Giraph at present?
>     Maybe, HAMA's team can give some advices to users like me, so we can make a decision
to choose a project as our work platform.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon