hama-user mailing list archives

From Diot Sebastien <s.d...@eurodata.de>
Subject BSP workflow and superstep
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:52:21 GMT
Hi.

The BSP tutorial page says that BSP workflow is:

    Local computation
    Process communication
    Barrier synchronization

While this makes sense for the bootstraping jobs, I think that describing the workflow like
this makes more sense for an already bootstrapped job:

   Sync
   Receive messages
   Process messages
   Send messages

in the sense that once all messages have been processed by a job, all it can do is wait for
new messages by syncing. So it seems to me that the start of the cycle should not be described
as local processing, but rather as waiting for instructions. This is similar to the Actor
model, where the actors are strictly reactive, and become dormant when they do not get messages.
Or, for a real world analogy, I get to work, read my emails and other work sources, do the
work, send replies, and then go home and wait for the next day to get more work...

Am I missing something?

MfG / Regards,
Sebastien Diot

Grossblittersdorferstrasse 257-259
66119 Saarbruecken
Germany
Tel.:  +49 (681) 8808-0
Fax.:  +49 (681) 8808-300
E-Mail.: s.diot@eurodata.de
EURO DATA GmbH & Co. KG
Datenverarbeitungsdienst
HR A 6448 Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
Komplementär: A. Reiß & Sohn GmbH
HR B 4965 Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Karl-Heinz Siebenpfeiffer