hama-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: K-Means on BSP
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 05:21:37 GMT
The sync() is much more expensive than sending n^2 messages.
But it would be very interesting to benchmark both against each other.
Another interesting thing would be to know how HAMA-546 [1] could be used
to distribute the centers to multiple tasks.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-546

Am 5. April 2012 02:51 schrieb Praveen Sripati <praveensripati@gmail.com>:

> http://codingwiththomas.blogspot.in/2011/12/k-means-clustering-with-bsp-intuition.html
> > Now we are going to broadcast each of this computed averages to the other
> tasks. Then we are going to sync so all messages can be delivered.
> Instead of sending the computed averages to all the tasks, we could send
> them to a master task and let the master task do all the computations and
> send it back to all the nodes. This way we are decreasing the number of
> messages from n*n to 2*n and less computation on the non-master tasks.
> Also, can we have a dedicated master task or make one of the bsp task as a
> master task?
> Thanks,
> Praveen

Thomas Jungblut