hama-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Significant performance improvement idea of Graph package
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:31:22 GMT
Hello all,

Originally, I was added outgoing message manager to reduce the
bundling overheads and fix the logical bug[1] of combine() method of
Pregel model. In fact, that bug was not able to be addressed unless
Graph package has own "outgoing message manager" since it need to
combine multiple messages to the same Vertex before sending.

Like this, if we manage the messages per vertex within
OutgoingVertexMessageManager, we don't need to use the Sorted message
queue for graph anymore! (the reason of using the sorted message queue
for graph job, was to avoid grouping messages of incoming queue which
requires huge amount of memory[2]. I think our solution was wrong).
Moreover, with this, I expect that we'll be able to use
multi-threading for vertex computations.

Thanks.

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-857
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-704

--