hama-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contributing to project Hama as a group
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:43:45 GMT
Hello,

HAMA-891 might be tricky to implement, but will be really meaningful!

The greedy heuristic partitioning is done by assigning the vertex to
the partition where it has the most edges. Please find the "(Weighted)
Deterministic Greedy" part in
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/166151/kdd325-stanton.pdf.

The tricky issue is that you'll need to create something for managing
the globally-accessable table of vertex IDs to partition IDs. Because,
current system always calls the getPartitionID() method when sending a
message (this is make sense only when the calculation is simple like
hash).

Vertex.java:
..
  @Override
  public void sendMessage(Edge<V, E> e, M msg) throws IOException {
    runner.getPeer().send(getDestinationPeerName(e),
        new GraphJobMessage(e.getDestinationVertexID(), msg));
  }

  /**
   * @return the destination peer name of the given vertex id, determined by the
   *         partitioner.
   */
  public String getDestinationPeerName(V vertexId) {
    return runner.getPeer().getPeerName(
        getPartitioner().getPartition(vertexId, value,
            runner.getPeer().getNumPeers()));
  }
..

--