hama-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cutting a 0.7 release
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:52:10 GMT
0.6.4 or 0.7.0, Both are OK to me.

Just FYI,

The memory efficiency has been significantly (almost x2-3) improved by
runtime message serialization and compression. See
https://wiki.apache.org/hama/Benchmarks#PageRank_Performance_0.7.0-SNAPSHOT_vs_0.6.3
(I'll attach more benchmarks and comparisons with other systems result
soon). And, we've fixed many bugs. e.g., K-Means, NeuralNetwork,
SemiClustering, Graph's Combiners HAMA-857.

According to my personal evaluations, current system is fairly
respectable. As I mentioned before, I believe we should stick to
in-memory style since the today's machines can be equipped with up to
128 GB. Disk (or disk hybrid) based queue is a optional, not a
must-have.

Once we release this one, we finally might want to focus on below issues:

* Fault tolerant job processing (checkpoint recovery)
* Support GPUs and InfiniBand

Then, I think we can release version 1.0.

--
Edward J. Yoon (@eddieyoon)
Chief Executive Officer