hama-dev mailing list archives

From Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Update
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 07:45:26 GMT
Hi Edward,

I think it generally looks better than the current one, I would just change
this:

Many data analysis techniques such as machine learning and graph algorithms
require iterative computations but MapReduce model doesn't fit for these
iterative data analysis applications. To run these iterative data analysis
applications more efficiently, Hama offers pure Bulk Synchronous Parallel
computing engine.

to something like this:

Many data analysis techniques such as machine learning and graph algorithms
require iterative computations, this is where Bulk Synchronous Parallel
model can be more effective than "plain" MapReduce. Therefore to run such
iterative data analysis applications more efficiently, Hama offers pure
Bulk Synchronous Parallel computing engine.

As I wouldn't say MR is inherently not good for iterative computations,
just BSP can be a better / more perfomant alternative.
My 2 cents,
Tommaso