hama-dev mailing list archives

From Chia-Hung Lin <cli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Hama Scheduler
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:15:01 GMT
BSPMaster makes use of TaskScheduler for scheduling tasks

BSPMaster.java
Class<? extends TaskScheduler> schedulerClass = conf.getClass(
        "bsp.master.taskscheduler", SimpleTaskScheduler.class,
        TaskScheduler.class);
this.taskScheduler = ReflectionUtils.newInstance(schedulerClass, conf);

Then in SimpleTaskScheduler, tasks are scheduled through schedule
function. And tasks are obtained by related JobInProgress.

That's roughly the execution path.

IIRC the split size is more related to a single job so increasing
split size may not allow more jobs to be ran on the same cluster.

At the moment the scheduling mechanism is done by creating a task per
GroomServer, and each GroomServer allows default maxTasks up to 3. So
increasing maxTasks may be a way to increase job running concurrently;
or restricting tasks scheduled to GroomServer, and then scheduling
tasks in the new job to free slots may also help increase the
concurrent job execution.

Right now scheduling is just a simple FCFS. It's welcome the
improvment on adding something like policy so that the scheduling
mechanism is more flexible.