hama-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue while using DiskVerticesInfo
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:44:56 GMT
Hi,

Our graph package is a pregel-like vertex-centric programming model,
and it allows to communication between "vertices".

Internally, each BSP processor performs computations for all assigned vertices.

  /**
   * The user-defined function
   */
  public void compute(Iterable<M> messages) throws IOException;

To avoid grouping messages in received queue by vertex ID, we uses
Sorted Message Queue, and calls user-defined function for each vertex
sequentially. By using this sequential processing approach, we reduce
the memory usage.

The current problem is vertex loading phase (or partitioner). The
loaded vertices in memory of each BSP processor should already be
sorted by vertex ID. In ListVerticesInfo case,

  @Override
  public void finishAdditions() {
    Collections.sort(vertices);
  }

This is quick-fix solution. We have to sort the vertices by vertex ID
at partitioning or loading phase.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon