hama-dev mailing list archives

From Chia-Hung Lin <cli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic vertices and hama counters
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2013 06:58:07 GMT
Just my personal viewpoint. For small size of global information,
considering to store the state in ZooKeeper might be a reasonable
solution.

On 13 July 2013 21:28, andronat_asf <andronat_asf@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm working on HAMA-767 and I have some concerns on counters and scalability. Currently,
every peer has a set of vertices and a variable that is keeping the total number of vertices
through all peers. In my case, I'm trying to add and remove vertices during the runtime of
a job, which means that I have to update all those variables.

> My problem is that this is not efficient because in every operation (add or remove a
vertex) I need to update all peers, so I need to send lots of messages to make those updates
(see GraphJobRunner#countGlobalVertexCount method) and I believe this is not correct and scalable.
An other problem is that, even if I update all those variable (with the cost of sending lots
of messages to every peer) those variables will be updated on the next superstep.

> e.g.:
>
> Peer 1:                            Peer 2:
>   Vert_1                              Vert_2
> (Total_V = 2)                  (Total_V = 2)
> addVertex()
> (Total_V = 3)
>                                          getNumberOfV() => 2

>                                          getNumberOfV() => 3
>

> Is there something like global counters or shared memory that it can address this issue?
>
> P.S. I have a small feeling that we don't need to track the total amount of vertices
because vertex centered algorithms rarely need total numbers, they only depend on neighbors
(I might be wrong though).