hama-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Pratt-Szeliga <pcpra...@trifort.org>
Subject Re: Hama and GPGPU
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:38:17 GMT
Hello,

> Good start! It looks really nice to me.

We are working on fixing some of the bugs involved with this. Rootbeer
right now is very close to a new release with a new class loader that
greatly improves compilation time and CUDA C code generation
robustness. 41/60 test cases are passing on this alpha version.

> One must be aware though, we need to check whether there are no
> license issues. Rootbeer looks distributed under the MIT License (Dear
> Philip C. Pratt-Szeliga, if I'm wrong please let me know). According
> to http://apache.org/legal/3party.html, MIT and BSD are fully
> compatible.

Yes, you can use Rootbeer for any purpose free of charge and license
restrictions.

> Another one is about fault tolerance.

Right now after there is a segmentation fault in the CUDA on the GPU,
Rootbeer cannot recover. Normal Java exceptions are fine, but if the
compiler outputs invalid generated code and it has a fault, you must
restart the process.

Sincerely,
Phil Pratt-Szeliga
Syracuse University