hama-dev mailing list archives

From Praveen Sripati <praveensrip...@gmail.com>
Subject When to terminate the ShortestPath and the PageRank program?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:22:02 GMT
1) I was looking in the ShortestPath#bsp() (1) on when the program gets out
the main while loop. Not sure if I understood it properly, but it looks a
bit complicated without much comments. Similar logic has been applied in
the org.apache.hama.graph.GraphJobRunner#bsp() also.

Basically, each of the bsp task should send a boolean to a master depending
on any messages have been sent to other peers or not. The master if there
is atleast one true from any one of the peer, will send a true back to all
the peers to continue the processing. Or else the bsp task can send a
boolean to all the peers instead of the master to avoid an additional
sync(). It is as simple as that.

The number of updates vertex which have been updated should not matter.
What is the purpose of the updatesMade and the globalUpdateCounts integer
variables?

2) Also, in the PageRank(2) the convergence is not tested, the program just
goes through the loop maxIteration # of times. Is a test for convergence
required in the graph package?

Praveen

(1) -
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/hama/branches/0.4/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/hama/examples/ShortestPaths.java