hama-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungb...@googlemail.com>
Subject [PAPER] Efficient Barrier Synchronization
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:13:21 GMT
Hey all,

I'm sure you already know this paper [1], but I wanted to discuss it a bit.

Besides that the "relaxed synchronization" looks quite cool and the newly
introduced "commit" method, I have seen the put and get operators.
It seems to be very useful that we provide some kind of distributed cache
which is storing the user data. I call it cache, because we can implement
some kind of swapping logic if the data is too large to fit in RAM.
The user can now get stuff from other machines or put it.

I know that this is widely used in enterprise solutions, e.G. EHCache by
terracotta.
I totally think that Apache DirectMemory could be useful for it. Sadly I
don't know if it is distributed nor that they provide some kind of swapping.

So first off all, what do you think about the paper?
What do you think about the caching idea?
And what do you think about using another framework for this, instead of
implementing our own?

[1]
http://people.apache.org/~tjungblut/Efficient%20Barrier%20Synchronization%20Mechanism.pdf

--