hama-dev mailing list archives

From Avery Ching <ach...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Port to YARN: GIRAPH and HAMA
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:47:19 GMT
Hi Vinod,

Edward and I have chatted about this at times.  It sounds better in
theory (both BSP based and adding support for MRv2) than in practice I
think (underlying implementations are quite different).  Actually, I
also believe that in the future, Giraph is not going to solely be
BSP-based graph computing.  We are also thinking about other underlying
computing models (i.e. streaming (asynchronous) graph processing - see

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-giraph-user/201109.mbox/%3CCAEVHzWC8b-7RiBjkDiQKjiu-rVBz9=ogEOajXHbCLCR5n3+QVg@mail.gmail.com%3E

But I think today, the issues are the following:

1)  Giraph runs completely as a MapReduce job on Hadoop today.  This
needs to be maintained to support our current users, who will not likely
move to MRv2 for at least a year.
2)  The internals of Giraph are implemented differently than Hama and
would take some time to port to.
3)  If we have various graph processing computing models (BSP based,
streams or asynchronous, or a combination), then being on Hama brings
little value for Giraph.

Perhaps more practically, I wonder if it would be possible for someone
from the Hama team to refactor our code a bit to support Hama-style BSP
in Giraph?  Certainly would be a pretty cool project...

Avery