hama-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release management
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:12:54 GMT
On 06/08/2011 12:07 PM, Edward J. Yoon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Other open source projects seems releases periodically and *shortly*.
> Frankly, I don't know what's the best.
>
> Should we also release Hama periodically and *shortly*? or should we
> release at significant changes?

I'd go for fast and regular, at least during dev. On one part of the
SmartFrog project, I was doing a release a fortnight, with a CentOS VM
set up to do the release process while I could continue coding on my desktop

http://smartfrog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/smartfrog/trunk/core/release/doc/creating_release_artifacts.odt

That forced a two week cycle, one week for features, one week to stabilise.

Something less agressive, but monthly is good
  -keeps the release process on its toes, encourages automation (the
only bit I have to do by hand is patching the JIRA change list into the
(generated from template) release notes.
  -keeps awareness up, that this is a live project
  -gets the build in the hands of the users