hama-dev mailing list archives

From Alois Cochard <alois.coch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2011 mentoring
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:08:44 GMT
Since Bellman-Ford seems to be the only distributed shortest path finding
algorithm to exist actually (is it correct ?), would be nice to point
students to it.

But I think it's must not be a 'mandatory point' if a student is capable to
come with his own distributed algorithm - we don't know, perhaps
a genius student will come with this - we can accept it.

For the majority of students, telling them to focus on Bellman-Ford is a
good idea, making them able to think about implementation and understanding
Hama/BSP instead of breaking their heads by trying to find an original
algorithm (or trying to make distributed a 'non-distributable' one) and
loosing lot of time.

I found a nice publication about history of Bellman-Ford / Distributed
[Asynchronous] Bellman-Ford:
http://www.walden-family.com/public/bf-history.pdf
(fun to see that this algorithm is used by ARPANET for routing -didn't know
that- and how the algorithm evolved)

So to conclude, I think it's a good idea to mention Bellman-Ford and give
some resources about it without define it as mandatory (it's good to give
students some freedom - it's motivating), then it's the role of the mentor
to guide the student to the right implementation and how the algorithm can
be applied to BSP.

I'm more used to Dijkstra/A* than Bellman-Ford and still a newbee with Hama
but if you need help for mentorship (or as a backup mentor) don't hesitate
to ask, I have a strong interest for this kind of algorithms/problems and
open to spend some of my free time on this.

Cheers,