From "Fournier, Camille F. [Tech]" <Camille.Fourn...@gs.com>
Subject RE: number of clients/watchers
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:44:06 GMT
Can you clarify what you mean when you say 10-100K watchers? Do you mean 10-100K clients with
1 active watch, or some lesser number of clients with more watches, or a few clients doing
a lot of watches and other clients doing other things?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hanna [mailto:jeremy.hanna1234@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:15 PM
To: zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: number of clients/watchers

I had a question about number of clients against a zookeeper cluster.  I was looking at having
between 10,000 and 100,000 (towards 100,000) watchers within a single datacenter at a given
time.  Assuming that some fraction of that number are active clients and the r/w ratio is
well within the zookeeper norms, is that number within the realm of possibility for zookeeper?
 We're going to do testing and benchmarking and things, but I didn't want to go down a rabbit
hole if this is simply too much for a single zookeeper cluster to handle.   The numbers I've
seen in blog posts vary and I saw that the observers feature may be useful in this kind of
setting.

Maybe I'm underestimating zookeeper or maybe I don't have enough information to tell.  I'm
just trying to see if zookeeper is a good fit for our use case.

Thanks.