From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Running cluster behind load balancer
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:10:50 GMT
one thing to note: the if you are using a DNS load balancer, some load
balancers will return the list of resolved addresses in different orders
to do the balancing. the zookeeper client will shuffle that list before
it it used, so in reality, using a single DNS hostname resolving to all
the server addresses will probably work just as well as most DNS-based
load balancers.

ben

On 11/04/2010 08:26 AM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
> Hi Chang, thanks for the insights, if you have a few minutes would you
> mind updating the FAQ with some of this detail?
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/FAQ
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patrick
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Chang Song<tru64ufs@me.com>  wrote:
>> Sorry. I made a mistake on retry timeout in load balancer section of my answer.
>> The same timeout applies to load balancer case as well (depends on the recv
>> timeout)
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Chang
>>

>> On Nov 4, 2010, at 10:22 PM, Chang Song wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to add some info on this.
>>>
>>> This may not be very important, but there are subtle differences.
>>>
>>> Two cases:  1. server hardware failure or kernel panic
>>>                       2. zookeeper Java daemon process down
>>>
>>> In former one, timeout will be based on the timeout argument in zookeeper_init().
>>> Partially based on ZK heartbeat algorithm. It recognize server down in 2/3 of
the timeout.
>>> then retries at every timeout. For example, if timeout is 9000 msec, it
>>> first times out in 6 second, and retries every 9 seconds.
>>>
>>> In latter case (Java process down), since socket connect immediately returns
>>> refused connection, it can retry immediately.
>>>
>>> On top of that,
>>>
>>> - Hardware load balancer:
>>> If an ensemble cluster is serviced with hardware load balancer,
>>> zookeeper client will retry every 2 second since we only have one IP to try.
>>>
>>> - DNS RR:
>>> Make sure that "nscd" on your linux box is off since it is most likely that DNS
cache returns the same IP many times.
>>> This is actually worse than above since ZK client will retry the same dead server
every 2 seconds for some time.

>>> I think it is best not to use load balancer for ZK clients since ZK clients will
try next server immediately
>>> if previous one fails for some reason (based on timeout above). And this is especially
true if your cluster works in