From Sergei Babovich <sbabov...@demandware.com>
Subject Re: Achieving quorum with only half of the nodes
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:07:47 GMT
Just another implementation of QuorumVerifier (based on existing
implementation: either majority or hierarchical quorums). Probably
hierarchical quorum is simplest to adjust - it already has notion of
groups, etc.

On 07/14/2010 04:46 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> by custom QuorumVerifier are you referring to
> http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.3.1/zookeeperHierarchicalQuorums.html
> ?
>
> ben
>
> On 07/14/2010 12:43 PM, Sergei Babovich wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> We are currently evaluating use of ZK in our infrastructure. In our
>> setup we have a set of servers running from two different power feeds.
>> If one power feed goes away so does half of the servers. This makes
>> problematic to configure ZK ensemble that would tolerate such outage.
>> The network partitioning is not an issue in our case. The only solution
>> I come up with so far is to provide custom QuorumVerifier that will add
>> a little premium in case if all servers in the quorum set are from the
>> same group. Basically if we have only half of votes but all of them
>> belong to the same group then we decide to have a quorum.
>> Any ideas or better solutions are very appreciated. Sorry if this has
>> been already discussed/answered.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sergei
>> This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain privileged
and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination,
distribution, copying, forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message, all attachments and all copies and backups thereof.