From Sergei Babovich <sbabov...@demandware.com>
Subject Achieving quorum with only half of the nodes
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:43:48 GMT
Hi,
We are currently evaluating use of ZK in our infrastructure. In our
setup we have a set of servers running from two different power feeds.
If one power feed goes away so does half of the servers. This makes
problematic to configure ZK ensemble that would tolerate such outage.
The network partitioning is not an issue in our case. The only solution
I come up with so far is to provide custom QuorumVerifier that will add
a little premium in case if all servers in the quorum set are from the
same group. Basically if we have only half of votes but all of them
belong to the same group then we decide to have a quorum.
Any ideas or better solutions are very appreciated. Sorry if this has
been already discussed/answered.

Regards,
Sergei
This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain privileged and/or
confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination,
distribution, copying, forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this message, all attachments and all copies and backups thereof.